In a devastating incident, a fire broke out at the GSM market, locally known as “Kasuwar Jagwal,” in Damaturu, Yobe, resulting in the destruction of properties estimated to be worth N150 million on Tuesday.
The Public Relations Officer of the Yobe State Fire Service confirmed the incident to journalists in Damaturu, stating that the distress call was received at approximately 5:50 a.m. Responding swiftly, the fire service team arrived at the scene, but significant damage had already occurred, with no fewer than 30 shops destroyed.
The fire, according to investigations, was attributed to a surge in electricity supply to the area. The Chairman of the Damaturu Trader’s Association, Alhaji Ali Sheriff, lamented that traders suffered losses totaling N150 million, indicating the substantial impact of the incident.
Ali Sheriff corroborated the findings, suggesting that the fire likely originated from an electrical fault. He recounted the challenges faced during the emergency response, noting that despite the presence of firefighters, their efforts were hindered by a faulty water pump.
Yahya Ngubdo, a trader dealing in sorghum, highlighted the specific losses within the commodity sector, revealing that 130 bags were lost due to the fire. He appealed to the state government and well-meaning individuals to come to the aid of the affected traders and alleviate their losses.
Additionally, police personnel were present at the scene to prevent looting of traders’ goods by potential miscreants. The aftermath of the fire has raised concerns about the need for heightened safety measures and fire prevention strategies within marketplaces.
Source: News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)Follow us on social media