“Today, education is perhaps the most important function of state and local government”.
~ Bobby Scott.
Fate and date has a way of smiling at Opobo/Nkoro Local Government Area. Sometimes at sunrise and other times, sunset.
Since coming onboard two years ago, the administration of Rt Hon Enyiada Cookey-Gam has reached unprecedented milestones with his responsible administration that has delivered on different sectors of core governance.
Building on the gains made in the educational advancement of the LGA created 27yrs ago, the council chairman, Rt Hon Enyiada Clifford Cookey-Gam is responsibly sailing the boat in the right direction and keeping the flag of education flying for the people.
The pragmatic, Focused and purposeful leadership of Enyiada’s administration understood our collective vision as educated and enlightened communities. With a strong desire of using education to improve the lives of the people and making the local government area better than he met it, the chairman is indeed adding outstanding layers in his drive towards making a lasting impact.
Having a clear understanding of the importance of education in the local area, the incumbent administration under the watch of Rt Hon Enyiada Clifford Cookey-Gam has initiated elaborate educational programmes and incentives to promote and subsidise education for all, especially the rural dwellers.
This laudable programmes and incentives include;
- The establishment of Opobo/Nkoro Education Reading Centre.
- The Adult Education Incentive Project, whose primary purpose is adult education. To assist adults who are parents to obtain the educational skills necessary to becoming fully integrated in community development.
- Learning Incentives, this comes in forms of inducement that serves as a motivations for intended learners. The annual free enrolment of student’s into WAEC, NECO, and GCE examinations.
- The facilitation, establishment and enrolment of 20 Opobo/Nkoro Indigenes on scholarship into the National Teachers Institution (NTI) Opobo/Nkoro Chapter (2021 and 2022) in the Local Government Area.
- The Sponsorship of Opobo/Nkoro indigenes for the Joint Admission And Matriculation Examination (JAMB) 2021, 2022 and 2023 Sessions.
- Re-establishment of GCE Centres in the Local Government Area and Sponsorship of Opobo/Nkoro indigines for the November- December 2021, 2022 and 2023 GCE Examination.
- The conception and ground breaking of 30 Self Contained Apartments for NYSC Lodge, with accelerated plan of commissioning it within the lifespan of his tenure in office.